Disability benefits  image
  1. Home
  2. Disability benefits

Disability benefits

Many people with a disability and their families, may be able to claim for additional financial support to help them with everyday life expenses.  

Disability living allowance (DLA) 

Disability living allowance benefit is for people under 65, including children. To be eligible: 

  • adults must have a physical or mental disability and need a lot of care, supervision or help with getting around or preparing a cooked meal
  • children must need more help or supervision with personal care or getting around than other children of the same age because of their illness or disability

This allowance is paid on top of other benefits, and you can have any amount of income or savings. 

Attendance allowance 

Attendance allowance is a benefit for people aged 65 years or over, who have a physical or mental disability and need a lot of care or supervision.  

The allowance is paid on top of other benefits, and you can have any amount of income or savings. For more information visit GOV.UK. 

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) 

Employment and Support Allowance, provides financial help to people who are unable to work because of illness or disability. ESA also offers personalised help so that you can work if you are able to. 

It gives you access to: 

  • a specially trained personal adviser 
  • a wide range of services including employment 
  • training and condition management support to help you manage and cope with your illness or disability at work 

A medical assessment 

You will get a medical assessment called the Work Capability Assessment. This assesses what you can do, rather than what you cannot, and identifies the health-related support you might need. The amount you receive depends on your circumstances. It also depends on how much your disability impacts your ability to do any work. 

You can make an Employment and Support Allowance claim online, by telephone or text phone.  

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) 

Personal Independence Payment replaces the Disability Living Allowance for people aged 16 to 64. 

If you need help with personal care or need help getting around because of a long-term physical or mental disability, or both, then you may be able to make a claim. You can get Personal Independence Payment whether you work or not. 

You could receive between £21.80 to £82.30 per week, to help with the extra costs caused by your condition. How much you get is not based on your condition, but how your condition affects you. 

You’ll need to have an assessment 

This is to work out the level of help you get. You will be regularly reassessed to make sure you’re getting the right support. 

You can make a PIP claim online or contact the Disability Benefits Helpline on 0800 917 2222 (Monday to Friday 8am to 5pm). 

Carers allowance 

Carers allowance is paid to people who look after someone with substantial caring needs.  

You can find out more about getting a carer's assessment, respite care and financial support for carers on our caring for someone section. 

Redbridge Welfare Benefits Team 

Redbridge Welfare Benefits Team can help you to find out your entitlement, how to access them and signpost to other services and support. 

Make a referral to the Welfare Benefits Team  

Other support 

If you find it difficult to get around, have a look at our getting out and about section. This has information to make travelling easier for you through the: 

  • Blue Badge Scheme 
  • Redbridge Mobility Scheme 
  • Disabled Persons Freedom Pass