Skip to main content
  1. Home
  2. Domestic abuse

Report domestic abuse

Are you experiencing domestic abuse or have you suffered from sexual violence or assault? If you or someone you know is being abused by a partner, ex-partner or a family member, there are support services available to help. 

In an emergency

Phone 999 if you are in immediate danger, or ask someone else to phone. State whether you need the police, ambulance or fire service. Try to move to a safe place, avoid kitchens or stairs, and stay near a door for a quick escape if you have to leave the area you are in. Press 55 if you dial 999 but are unable to speak to let the emergency services know.

If the situation is not an emergency, but you still need the police, call 101.

If you need help 


Safe2Talk is a non-judgmental space for women and girls who have experienced sexual assault, harassment, or abuse to come and speak one-on-one with female experts including a police officer, a domestic abuse specialist, a Redbridge housing officer and an immigration lawyer from Ashiana Network.

If you need help or are concerned for somebody else, you can also contact the following:


Refuge is a free service for anyone, regardless of gender, living in Redbridge who has experienced, or is at risk of gender-based abuse, including victims of sexual abuse and violence. 

National Domestic Abuse Helpline

Reach Out

A support service for adults in Redbridge who are being abused or fear being abused. The service provides help whether you wish to remain with your partner or need help to separate.


Nia is a support service for women and girls who have been subjected to sexual and domestic violence and abuse. Services included specialist help for women and girls who have experienced any form of sexual violence at any time in their lives.

  • Call: 0800 160 1036
  • Email:
  • If your call is unanswered, leave a message with a safe telephone number and the best time to call you, and they will call you back

Specialist help and support

Young people as victims of domestic abuse or in violent relationships

Specialist advice for young people in abusive or violent relationships is available:

Redbridge’s specialist young person service

For 14 to 17 year olds living in Redbridge experiencing or at risk of gender based abuse, contact Refuge for free advice:

Redbridge Safeguarding Children Partnership (RSCP)

Relationships can be fun and exciting but they can also be confusing and harmful. It’s important to understand what a healthy relationship looks like and to know what isn’t okay.

Read about RSCP's advice on healthy and unhealthy relationships

Support for victims from ethnic minority groups

Aanchal Women's Aid

Aanchal provides advice and support in 7 South Asian languages, Lithuanian, Polish and Russian:

  • Call 0800 0124 924 (Helpline hours are Monday to Friday 09:00 am - 10:00 pm)

Ashiana Network

The Ashiana Network provides advice and support for South Asian, Turkish, Kurdish and Iranian women.

  • Call 0208 539 0427

Karma Nirvana

Karma Nirvana gives help and support for victims of honour-based violence and forced marriage:

  • Call 0800 5999 247 (24 hours)

Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office Advice: Forced Marriage Unit

Contact the Forced Marriage Unit if you are trying to stop a forced marriage or need help leaving a marriage you have been forced into:

  • Call 0207 008 0151
  • If overseas, call 0044 207 008 0151 

Support for LGBTQ+ victims of domestic abuse 


Galop supports LGBTQ+ people who are experiencing domestic abuse and people supporting a survivor of domestic abuse:

  • Call 0800 999 5428 (Monday and Tuesday 9am to 5pm, Wednesday and Thursday 9am to 8pm and Friday 9am to 5pm)
  • Email

Support for male victims of domestic abuse

Respect Men's advice line

The Respect Men's advice line provides help for male victims of domestic abuse:

  • Call: 0808 801 0327 (Monday to Friday 9am to 8pm)
  • Email: (Monday to Friday  9am to 8pm, Saturday and Sunday 10am to 12pm and  4pm to 6pm)

If you are concerned someone may be being abused

  • If you are worried about their immediate safety, call 999
  • Report a crime by calling police on 101
  • Report anonymously by calling Crime Stoppers on 0800 555 111 or online
  • Stay connected by keeping regular contact. This creates safe spaces and opportunities to ask for help
  • Let your friend know that you’ve noticed something is wrong. They might not be ready to talk, but try to find quiet times when they can talk if they choose to
  • Call the freephone 24 hour National Domestic Abuse Helpline on 0808 2000 247 or visit the National Domestic Abuse Helpline website to get a call back
  • Do not approach or contact the perpetrator. This could escalate the abuse and put you and the person at risk of harm

Advice from GOV.UK and the survivor's handbook

More information is available on the central government website, including:

  • Signs and behaviours to help you recognise if you are in an abusive relationship
  • The domestic violence disclosure scheme
  • Applying for settled status and benefits
  • Universal credit adjustments

Women's Aid, a national charity working to end domestic abuse against women and children, have produced a survivors handbook, which provides practical support and information for women experiencing domestic abuse. The handbook is also available in multiple languages and audio versions.

The Victim's Code 

The Code of Practice for Victims of Crime, found on the Government's website, sets out the minimum standards that must be provided to victims of crime by organisations in England and Wales.

Victims of crime should be treated in a respectful, sensitive and professional manner without discrimination of any kind. There are also other rights that are set out in the Code and it explains how to make a complaint if your rights have not been met.