Financial support for carers  image
  1. Home
  2. Financial support for carers

Financial support for carers

If you are a carer, there is a range of benefits, tax credits and other financial support that you may be able to receive. It’s important that you are aware of these. 

Carers Allowance 

Carer’s Allowance is a benefit to support living costs of anyone who has caring responsibilities for someone else. You do not have to be related to or live with the person that you care for.  

For example, you might care for your disabled child or for an elderly relative.  

You can apply for Carer’s Allowance online or by post. 

Find out more about how to claim Carer’s Allowance at GOV.UK 

Universal Credit 

Universal Credit is a monthly payment to support with living costs. It’s available for people on low incomes in lots of different circumstances and assessed and paid by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). 

If you claim Universal Credit and you care for someone for more than 35 hours per week, you can also get the carer element of Universal Credit. This is an additional amount that’s paid on top of your Universal Credit payment. 

Find out more about Universal Credit at GOV.UK 

Redbridge Welfare Benefits Team 

Redbridge Welfare Benefits Team can help you to find out your entitlement, how to access them and signpost to other services and support. 

Make a referral to the Welfare Benefits Team  

Citizens Advice Redbridge  

Citizens Advice Redbridge provide free, confidential, independent and impartial advice regarding welfare benefits and income maximisation. 

You can get access to free advice by calling 0808 278 7872, Monday to Friday between 9am to 5pm or by emailing 

Benefit checker 

You may wish to check whether you are entitled to benefits, Universal Credit, Carer's Allowance or other support.  

Please use any of the following checkers: 

Benefits for the person you support 

It’s important to make sure the person you support is getting the benefits they are entitled to. If you’re not sure how your benefits might affect each other,  speak to Citizens Advice.