Request a carer’s assessment image
  1. Home
  2. Request a carer’s assessment

Request a carer’s assessment

You have the right to a carer’s assessment from Redbridge Adult Social Services, if you are providing unpaid support to someone else or if you are about to start caring.

Who is a carer? 

If you provide unpaid care or support to a friend or family member (over the age of 18), who is ill, frail, disabled, or has mental health or substance misuse problems, you are a carer. 

Caring for someone covers lots of different things, including: 

  • personal care such as washing, dressing, support with eating or taking medication 
  • practical care such as shopping, cooking, cleaning, taking the person to regular appointments 
  • emotional support if the person is lonely, worried or gets upset 

Carer's assessment 

A carers assessment is a discussion between yourself and the council about your caring role and how it affects your daily life. This is an opportunity for you to talk about any concerns you may have and what support you may need. 

This can be carried out at the same time as the assessment of the person you care for or can be done separately and privately. 

Also, as a carer, you have a right to have your needs considered when decisions are being made about support for the person you care for. 

During the assessment, you will have the opportunity to tell us about: 

  • Whether you are able or willing to carry on caring 
  • The impact of your caring role on your health and wellbeing 
  • Things that you want to achieve in your day to day life 
  • Whether you work or want to work 
  • Whether you want to study 
  • What you want to do more socially 

If your first language is not English, then an interpreter can be made available to help you during the assessment. A British Sign Language (BSL) interpreter can also be made available if required. 

Who can have a carer’s assessment? 

Everyone who appears to have needs for support should be offered an assessment by Adult Social Services. 

As a carer you will be entitled to an assessment regardless of: 

  • The amount or type of care you provide 
  • Your financial means 
  • Your level of need for support 
  • If the person you care for is not eligible to receive services from us 

The assessment can be in person or sometimes over the telephone. 

How much does it cost? 

There is no charge for a carer’s assessment or information and advice. 

Currently, there is also no charge for any support services that the council agree you will need to help you continue caring.  

If you receive services from a local voluntary organisation, these are also generally provided free of charge. 

After the assessment 

We will use the assessment to identify your support needs and to discuss how these could be met.  

This might mean that we will provide support to you, or if you are not eligible for social care support, we will provide information, advice and guidance on alternative ways of getting the support you may require. 

How to request an assessment 

Request a carer’s assessment 

The person you care for can have their own assessment to look at their social care needs.  

You can request a carer’s assessment even if the person you care for does not wish for help or an assessment.