Personal care  image
  1. Home
  2. Personal care

Personal care

If you are struggling with everyday tasks such as washing, bathing or dressing yourself, you may need some extra help at home.  

Pay for your own home care 

Home care is care provided in your own home to help you stay independent. 

You can contact a home care agency if you want to arrange your own private home care. Home care agencies provide trained care workers or nurses who can help you at home. For example, a care worker could come in the morning to help you get washed and dressed and then in the evening to help you get ready for bed. 

Some agencies offer specialist support for people with: 

  • learning disabilities 
  • dementia 
  • mental health problems 
  • brain injuries 

Independent Age has guidance on getting help at home and choosing home care services. 

The NHS gives information and advice on help at home from a carer. 

Care Quality Commission (CQC) allows you to search for home care agencies in your area. 

Home Support Service  

Age UK Redbridge, Barking & Havering offer residents over 50 who live in Redbridge, a service to help with shopping as well as home care, help with bills or correspondences and assistance with bathing and showering. 

Taking medication  

You can be putting your health at risk if you are forgetting to take prescribed medication or take it in the wrong way. 

Your local pharmacist will be able to advise you on different medicines and how to take them. You don’t need to make an appointment and advice and information will be provided free of charge. 

There are devices that the pharmacist can supply or transfer your prescription into such as a dosette box. This is a box marked with the days and times of the week at which you should take your medication. Another way to help you to remember is to keep a diary or planner and tick off each dose as you take it. 

If you are receiving home care that includes daily visits to your home, then your care worker will help to ensure that you always take the right medication at the right time.  

Incontinence support 

Incontinence refers to a loss or weakening of the bladder, bowel, or both. 

If you have incontinence, don't be embarrassed about getting medical help. The symptoms can be improved and sometimes cured with simple methods. 

Your GP can assess whether you have incontinence and provide general information and advice on controlling symptoms and give treatment with prescribed medicines. 

There is also a wide range of products and devices available to help you manage your incontinence such as pads and pants, bed and chair protection, catheters and penile sheaths. NHS Choices has information on incontinence products.  

Nail Cutting Clinic

Many older people find it hard to cut their own toenails. This can lead to a risk of foot problems as well as being uncomfortable. Keeping nails trimmed, especially the toenails can help maintain mobility and keep you active.

Age UK Redbridge, Barking and Havering offer an affordable nail cutting service with a qualified professional at Ilford and Wanstead.

Contact Adult Social Care 

If you think you would benefit from extra help at home to manage everyday tasks, contact Adult Social Care for a chat about your care and support needs. 

They will need to carry out an assessment of what your needs are to see if you are eligible for care and support.  

Who can get help from us? 

Request an assessment