Sensory impairment image
  1. Home
  2. Sensory impairment

Sensory impairment

If you have a visual or hearing impairment, there is support and advice available. 

You can register as blind or partially sighted with Redbridge Adult Social Services. This often makes it easier for you to get support and practical help. Your GP will need to refer you to a consultant in the first instance. 

What is sensory impairment? 

Sensory impairment is when you have a problem with your sight and/or hearing.  For example, if you have a sight impairment you may wear glasses or if you have a hearing impairment you might wear a hearing aid.  

You don't need to have full loss of a sight or hearing to be considered as being sensory impaired. 

For some people, they may also have dual sensory impairment, which is a combination of both hearing and sight loss.  

Support organisations 

The Sensory Services Centre in Redbridge helps those who are deaf, hard of hearing, blind, partially sighted or deafblind. The centre offers advice, information and training on sensory loss, demonstrations on sensory loss equipment and hearing aid maintenance. You can contact 020 8551 7700 or 020 8551 7766 (textphone). 

Redbridge Talking Newspaper Association is a charity which produces free weekly Redbridge news in audible form. They record local newspapers and magazine features onto USB memory sticks.  

Wanstead and Woodford Blind Club is a social club for anyone who has difficulties with their sight and wants to meet other people in similar circumstances.

The NHS offer a lot of information and advice around blindness and vision loss, hearing loss and deafblindess. 

Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB) offer help and support for blind and partially sighted people, including practical and emotional support, reading services and accessibility products.         

Royal National Institute for Deaf People (RNID) provide practical support, advice and information to help those with hearing impairments, including deafness and tinnitus.  

Sense help those living with complex disabilities or deaf blindness to communicate and experience the world. 

Guide Dogs support those who are visually impaired through a range of different services, such as assistive technology, custom eye books, guide dogs and a sighted guiding service. 


If you find it difficult to get around, have a look at our getting out and about page.

The Blue Badge scheme gives parking concessions for people with severe mobility problems, and the Redbridge Mobility Care scheme provides door to door transport for disabled residents. Free travel on London's public transport and local bus services is available through the Disabled Person's Freedom Pass. 

Help to live at home 

If everyday life is becoming more difficult, there may be specialist equipment available which will allow you to do these things safely and independently. 

There is also lifeline, monitors and alarms that can help you live a more independent life in your own home. 

Get help from us

If you need support in your daily activities or care for somebody who does, you can contact Redbridge Adult Social Services.  

We will carry out an assessment of needs. This assessment will identify what your needs are, what problems you are facing and how you can be helped. 

If your needs meet the eligibility criteria, then you will receive services from the council.  

Request an assessment